Pages

Saturday, December 12, 2009

*repost. Halloween.






Happy Halloween!

Where did halloween start? Originally, I think it's from the western. So, I don't really like greeting people, "Happy Halloween." And it turns out, it is mostly observed in the western and can be traced back to the Druid in Europe.

I don't despise the western or anything but the western invasion in our country is what I despise. Because from there, I see people not wanting to go to back to the Philippines because all they see in the western news is the MILF, the corruption, the ugliness of the streets and the pollution. It's what I hear from my relatives who currently reside in America. They don't like to go back to the Philippines because of what they see; and what they experience there is much more comfortable and "hassle-free".

It's good to hear that there are still Filipinos who, due in time, would return to their mother land for good. There are also Filipinos who would say, "The Philippines is not that bad; what you see in the news is just one part." I cannot help but to just smile at him.

I have a tito and a tita who are residing in the west. They are a couple with no kids. My tita wants to stay in the west for good. On the other hand, my tito wants to go back to the Philippines after he has retired. This shows the different perspectives of the Filipinos outside the country.

I know the Philippines is, economically, failing. I cannot help but to think of going away and live another life outside the country; even just a few miles away like Singapore or Hong Kong. One friend said that even having a good leader, we cannot go back to the progressive country we were even after 50 years. 50 Years is a long way. We have no assurance of it.

One comparison did by one korean was to them. Years back, he said that Korea was very poor just like the Philippines right now; and the Philippines back then was very rich. He says that Korea envied the Philippines. What the Korea did was they sent so many workers outside the country in order to give back money back to their country. Not only the leader worked but also the citizens themselves. This foreigner was teaching us to love our country just like the way they loved theirs.

Now from what I notice, we lack this. Why do we say to something cheap and ugly, "local". Local meaning it is made here in the Philippines. And we call 'imported' the things that are good in quality. Meaning we brand the good things are only those made abroad. We look heads up to the people who buy imported products. A common notion to us is that when we have imported products, we are so-called cool.

But are we? Who would not love the dried mangoes of Cebu? Who would not love the slippers of Liliw? Who would not love the wooden furniture and decoration of Paete? Who would not love the durian, despite of its smell, from Davao? Who would not love the longganisa of Pampanga? Who would not love the Pansit Hab-hab, rice crackers and Lambanog of Quezon? Are we not cool if we buy these products? What can we do, Filipinos love to eat!







Who would not love the smiles of these kids?

Not only would you love Philippines because of its products but also its people. Who would not love the 'Magarbong' Pampangeno? Who would not love the hospitable Filipinos? Who would not love the happy and friendly Filipinos? Who would not love the heart-warming Filipinos? I know because I have been fed by the people I have only met minutes before. I know I have been taken care by the people I have only met minutes before.

So why not love the Philippines? We only get to take pride of our country when we get to represent them. But only a handful can. Do we have to wait for that chance? Look at other countries, they put flags outside their homes. Let us imitate the western patriotism to their country and not their country themselves.

Let us still value our tradition; our tradition to go to cemetery every 1st of November and not go 'trick-or-treat'.

The Philippines is so beautiful and majestic in our own senses(at least to me). It just depends on how we see it. I just wish that even years after, when I start living for myself, when I am not so idealistic like now, I do not become westernize that I forget that I am a Pilipino.

Pen Keeper (Signed)

PS. I would also recommend the gallery of the Camera Club of the Philippines. For other pictures such as shown: click the photo. At 'yan ang nagagawa ng taong may 'Sore Eyes.'

0 reviews:

Post a Comment

Epilogue

Million Dollar Ideas strike at 1 am!


Currently Reading: Flip by (ed) Jessica Zafra

Followers

Labels

Followers

Ads

I Serve Nuffnang